About Me

My photo
I can be found blogging occassionally on http://blog.emlwildfire.com/ More news and views on Twitter @PRgirl85

Sunday 20 March 2011

Viral campaign by Tourism Ireland is just plain vile

I'm a proud Dublin girl who spent many a childhood holiday, weekend away and road trips in Ireland's various hot spots (no pun intended - the hot spots are just as rainy as the not so hot spots).

While I'm more than willing to do my bit to encourage tourism to my home country I'm a bit worried about Tourism Ireland's latest venture, a Facebook game in the style of FarmVille called Ireland Town - see for yourself here http://www.facebook.com/#!/DiscoverIreland. How much was some self proclaimed expert paid to come up with the name 'Ireland Town'? I shudder to think.



Tourism Ireland had their hearts in the right place but anyone who is persuaded to visit Ireland on the basis of this cliche ridden game will be sorely, sorely disappointed. You won't find the thatched cottage idyll of Ireland Town in a weekend to Dublin, I can tell you that for nothing. The game perpetuates so many cringy and outdated stereotypes of Ireland that it makes Disney's Darby O'Gill and The Little People look like a realistic representation of The Emerald Isle, even with Scottish Sean Connery and his dodgy accent.

If you want some actual travel advice for Ireland feel free to contact me on Twitter @PRgirl85 - I can tell you where to enjoy some real Irish craic but be warned, there will be no leprechauns whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment